The Omni Group is growing our band of Support Humans (also known as our Tech Support team). Our search is for coworkers who are great at cheerfully helping customers with our macOS and iOS products on the phone, as well as via email, Twitter, and on our forums. Support Humans work together as a team and with customers to answer questions, solve problems, and (whenever possible) have surprisingly pleasant conversations about software.
We look for hires with positivity, great phone skills, and who are good at thinking through problems on a computer they can’t actually see. We don’t rely on binders of troubleshooting scripts; your imagination will be one of your most important tools.
When customers call with questions about our Mac & iOS apps, you’re their first contact. Know the answer? Great! If not, gather information and we’ll help you find it. (You should enjoy learning about technology; even if you know a lot, you’re going to learn more here.)
When it comes to inventing great software, we believe being friendly is at least as important as being smart. If you need help with a problem, you’ll have plenty of people to ask - and they’ll be happy to talk about it. When we disagree, we do it respectfully. No one furthers themselves by tearing you down.
Compensation and Benefits
Our amazing customers love our apps and push them to their limits. If earning gratitude by helping them brings you happiness, you’ll enjoy this job. We depend on Support Humans when crafting our products; they speak for and represent our customers’ needs.
We offer a base salary in the mid-$40k/year range, a 401k with matching, incredible insurance for you and your family, and the potential for profit sharing. We are an equal opportunity employer. We know our industry has a diversity problem; we’re trying to be part of the solution.
We also offer lots of other great benefits, which you can read about elsewhere on this website.
How to Get This Job
To be considered for this job, the following things must be true:
- You live in the Seattle area and are able to work in our Seattle office, a little bit north of downtown. We’re not looking for remote employees or to relocate anyone. Apologies in advance, but no exceptions.
- You are empathetic, patient, and have a positive attitude, even when helping a customer who is having a very bad day.
- You have strong problem-solving, communication, and customer service skills. You can think your way through problems and enjoy helping our customers solve them. (Even if the problems aren’t well-defined, even if the usual solutions aren’t working, and even if it’s the fifth person you’ve helped solve that problem today.)
- You can speak up, ask questions, and absorb technical information. You’ll be well supported while learning about our applications, but asking for help when you need it is important.
- We work collaboratively, meaning a lot of face-to-face conversations. You should be comfortable approaching and being approached by your coworkers with questions and with participating in discussions.
- You are comfortable using and solving problems on computers, mobile devices, and the apps that run on them. If you’re the person that your relatives come to for advice on their Apple Store purchases, that’s a good sign.
- If you’re not an animal person, please be able to tolerate them in the workplace. Employees’ dogs are at the office daily.
Special Bonus Round Extras
The following things aren’t requirements, but would be nice to mention if they apply to you:
- Experience with macOS and/or iOS.
- Previous phone-based tech support work, general phone-based customer service experience, or in-person tech support experience.
- We want to know if you read or speak non-English languages.
- Do you have experience with our products? If not, go to our website and read about them. Do they seem interesting to you? If you have access to a Mac, download the free trials and try them out.
To apply, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org; include the exact phrase “Phone Support Human” in the subject line. Include a copy of your résumé in text, HTML, RTF or PDF form.
Please note: if you submit a Word document, you will not be considered for the position. No phone calls or visits to the office, please.
Every applicant that sends a resume before May 15th will receive a set of sample support questions to work on; applicants will have until May 22nd to submit responses. Those answers are by far the most important factor we’ll use when selecting applicants to invite in for interviews.
Our goal with this hire is to find coworkers that will impress our customers by solving problems better and faster than they expect, that will suggest ways to improve our products so a problem that occurred today is solved tomorrow, and who we’ll enjoy working alongside in this important, meaningful, and deeply silly industry we’ve chosen to devote our careers to.