The Omni Group is seeking a senior front-end web developer to build and expand the web edition of OmniFocus, our award-winning task management application. OmniFocus for the Web brings the productivity power of our native macOS and iOS apps to cross-platform customers.
This position is part of the Design department. You will work with the rest of the department to plan and implement the customer-facing design for OmniFocus for the Web. You should have an eye for good design and aesthetics, and be able to work within an existing ecosystem of both web and native apps. Omni is a collaborative environment, so you must be able to communicate the rationale for your choices to teammates and co-workers, and be receptive to both positive feedback and honest criticism from them.
OmniFocus for the Web is built using React and Redux. In development, we use npm, ES6, and styled-components. As part of this role, you will be asked to explain technical limits and possibilities of the tools we use now to non-technical co-workers. You will also be expected to bring up potential opportunities in new technologies and current web trends.
Omni is a small company of self-motivated individuals; you should be organized, driven, and capable of managing multiple ongoing tasks concurrently. OmniFocus comes in several editions on Apple platforms, so you will also be asked to work with our native app teams to plan and implement new features. Finally, we expect our site to be reliable, and for web developers to be available to support our system administrators in the case of site problems.
- 3+ years of experience in front end web development
- Knowledge of recent web development best practices, such as mobile-first responsive design and cross-browser testing
- Omni develops Mac and iOS software, so you should be comfortable using a Mac for all your work
The following things aren’t requirements, but would be nice to mention if they apply to you:
- Familiarity with OmniFocus
- Comfortable maintaining your work using Git
- Capable of using the macOS Terminal, running command-line applications, and deploying your work to Unix-like servers
- Familiarity with any of the following: TypeScript, Python, Go, WebSockets, WebDAV
- Experience with Xcode or native app development on Apple platforms
- Experience with Docker or other continuous integration and deployment tools
- An understanding of design & visual communications (composition, typography, data visualization, and cognitive design, for example)
- A background in UI/UX
- Knowledge of Accessibility best practices
To be considered for this job:
- You must be able to work with us in our Seattle office in South Lake Union, just north of downtown. We’re not looking for remote or contract employees — sorry, but we won’t be making any exceptions on this.
- You should have flexibility. 40 hour work weeks are the norm, but on rare occasion, deadlines change and we need to work on a short timeline.
- You should be able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Omni makes decisions through conversation. You should excel in your ability to participate in our written and oral discussions about those decisions.
To apply, send an email to email@example.com, with the exact phrase “Senior Front-End Web Developer” in the subject line. Include a copy of your resume in text, HTML, RTF, or PDF form. If you send a Word document, you will not be considered for the position. If available, please include links to examples of your recent work. No phone calls or visits to the office, please.