The Omni Group is a successful and talented team working to increase the productivity and joy of our customers throughout the world with our suite of products for Macs, iPhones, and iPads.
We are a long-lived company with a startup work ethic, staffed with a unique selection of talented, driven, and friendly people. Please send your résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org using a format you are sure we’ll be able to read, and we will send you an automatic acknowledgment so you can be sure we received it. Unless otherwise stated, all positions are for full-time employment in our lovely Seattle office. Check the specific job postings to see if the hiring manager has any additional submission requirements.
What kind of applicants are we seeking?
You must be the sort of person who can see the glamor in any project if it helps Omni to succeed! We are looking for someone who is smart, but not conceited. If you think you know all the answers, we’re not interested. If you think you know some of the questions, send us a résumé. We don’t put up with big individual egos, although we fully admit to having a big collective ego. You must be a team player. You must, must, must be self-motivating. We don’t discriminate based on anything that would upset you, like race, age, sex, religion, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We won’t hire anyone who’s on the planet without a visa, though.
Senior Front-End Web Developer
The Omni Group is seeking a senior front-end web developer to develop and maintain a world-class website for our Mac and iOS products. The position is part of the Design Department and will focus on bringing mockups to life.
You will work with the Design Department to plan and execute the visual creative direction for our sites. You should have an eye for good design and aesthetics. You must be able to communicate rationale for your choices to teammates and co-workers and be receptive to both positive feedback and honest criticism from them.
You will be expected to be organized and capable of managing multiple ongoing projects concurrently. We have web specific projects but our top priority is the support of our Mac and iOS products. We expect our site to be reliable and for web developers to be available to support our system administrators in the case of site problems.
- 3+ years of experience in front end web development
- Knowledge of current web development best practices such as mobile-first responsive and cross-browser testing
- Omni develops Mac and iOS software, so you should be comfortable using a Mac for all your work
- Mastery of CSS
The following things aren’t requirements, but would be nice to mention if they apply to you:
- Comfortable maintaining your work using Subversion
- Capable of deploying your work to a UNIX server using Grunt from the command line
- An understanding of design & visual communications (branding, composition, and typography, for example)
- A background in UI/UX
- Familiarity with Python and PHP
- Knowledge of SEO/SEM best practices
- Knowledge of Accessibility best practices
To be considered for this job:
- You should be able to work with us in our Seattle office in South Lake Union just north of Downtown. We’re not looking for remote or contract employees—sorry, but we won’t be making any exceptions on this.
- Flexibility is mandatory. 40 hour work weeks are the norm but on rare occasion deadlines change and we need to work on a short timeline.
- You should be able to work independently as well as working as part of a team.
- You should be familiar with Adobe CC.
- Omni makes decisions through conversation—you should excel in your ability to participate in our written and oral discussions about those decisions.
- To apply, send an email to email@example.com, with the exact phrase “Senior Front-End Web Developer” in the subject line. Include a copy of your resume in text, HTML, RTF or PDF form. If you send a Word document, you will not be considered for the position. Also include a link to your portfolio containing 8-10 examples of your most relevant work. No phone calls or visits to the office, please.
- Your task, in submitting an application and portfolio for this position, is to convince us that you can contribute to what we do, that you think Omni is likely to be a place you would like to work, and that we would enjoy working with you.
The Omni Group is a rewarding but nontraditional place to work, and our compensation packages reflect that. We offer the usual range of traditional benefits to employees:
- Competitive salaries, based on experience.
- Bonuses, based on our revenues and profitability for the year.
- Stock options. (Note that we are not aiming to become publicly traded.)
- 401(k), with some company matching, again depending on our revenues and profitability for the year.
- Full health coverage.
- Vision and dental coverage.
But when we founded this business we knew that we were going to spend a ton of time here, so basic survival dictated that it should be fun as well as easy to work in. To those ends, we also have some less traditional benefits:
- Omni has a professional chef and assistants with the power of a restaurant-grade kitchen at their disposal. Dinner is at five o’clock every weeknight; your SO and kids are welcome, too. If you find eating at the office to be impractical, feel free to pack some food up to take home with you.
- Personal hardware purchase budget. Omni provides everything you need to get your job done in the office, but if you need an extra 30” display at home we can help with that too.
- Professional development budget, which covers conferences, training, or materials that you can convince us will help further your work-related skills.
- Corporate matching of personal contributions to 501(c) non-profits, up to a limit.
- A theater, and other media amenities. Miss a WWDC session? Watch it on our hugenormous projector. Fail to watch indie movies when they first came out? Check them out from our movie library!
- A whole mess of console video game systems, both current and old-school. There is a dedicated A/V system for the games, so someone can watch Game of Thrones while others play Rock Band. And of course, we have a large suite of board games, D&D goodies, pinball, and other classic paraphernalia.
- On-site massages.
But, don’t get the impression we just goof around: it takes a lot of hard work to make our products a joy for our customers. Doing what we do, and doing it the way we choose to, is not easy. Luckily, we all love doing what we do, and we hope you will too.
Omni is located in rainy Seattle, possibly the most beautiful city in North America. The air here is still clean, the people still friendly, local brands are still more popular than national brands, and music festivals still feel like they are for the people.