OmniFocus 2.22 for iOS and 2.12 for Mac add limited compatibility with test builds of OmniFocus 3, available later in 2018. These versions of OmniFocus can calculate the next repeat for the more complicated repeat rules coming in v3, but those rules cannot be edited.
- Database Format — Once all your devices are running OmniFocus 2.12 for Mac or OmniFocus 2.22 for iOS (or later), you’ll be prompted to migrate to a new database format. More information on migration can be found here.
- OmniFocus 3 compatibility — OmniFocus 2.12 can calculate the next repeat for rules like “Every first Friday of the Month” that can be set in test builds of OmniFocus 3 (coming soon). However, these rules can’t be edited and you’ll be warned before making changes.
- Repeating items — When completing a “Due again” or “Defer another” item ahead of time, OmniFocus is smarter about creating the next instance (we no longer create the instance with the same defer/due date as the one just completed).
- AppleScript — The
completedproperty of a task is now read-only. The
date completedproperty is still marked read-write in the terminology, but is only mutable in order to backdate an already completed task. Added
mark incompleteverbs and
next defer dateand
next due dateread-only properties.
- Documentation — Updated the in-app help.
- Single Action Lists — “Complete when completing last item” is now disabled, as parallel projects are the appropriate way to model a group of actions that all make progress towards a specific goal. If a repeating Single Action List is encountered with this option set, it is converted to a Parallel project upon repeat.
- AppleScript — Fixed a hang when setting the status of a project to
- Calendar Publishing — Repeating actions are once again published to the OmniFocus reminders calendar without repeat rules. Items are now properly removed on every sync (not just those where items were being added).
- Crash — Fixed a crash resizing the attachments window.
- Crash — Fixed a crash when the OmniFocus cache file was deleted out from under the app. We now prompt for a database rebuild instead.
- Dark Theme — Fixed a problem where placeholder text in Quick Open was not visible in the OmniFocus Dark theme. Fixed another problem where the cursor was not visible in the Inspector Notes field in the OmniFocus Dark theme.
- Foreign Documents — Fixed a problem with opening local
.ofocusdocuments that had been updated to the latest sync format.
- Localizations — Updated localized text.
- Migration — We now hide the Show Devices button during migration to avoid leaving the process half-done.
- Notes — Fixed a problem where the Inspector Notes field sometimes showed no content.
- Perspectives window — Fixed a problem where the Focus pop-up appeared behind the Perspectives window.
- Preferences — Fixed a problem where the link to the list of anonymously submitted information was not appearing in Update Preferences.
- Sync — Fixed a repeated prompt for ‘The server “Omni Sync” requires authentication’ even when the correct password had been provided.
- Smaller Fixes and Improvements — Including crash fixes. Thanks for sending in those reports!